Monday, October 1, 2007

Random thoughts - random observations - random pictures

Some of my random thoughts/observations are about politics, so if you've heard enough in the news today you may just want to wait until my next post : )

Prices in Denmark:

Tube of toothpaste in Denmark - 30 danish kroners (dkk) = approx. $5.85

Bottle of (decent) wine - 45 dkk = approx. $9

Bottle of Contact solution - 60 dkk = approx. $12
(hmmm...$9, $12...)

Jar of peanut butter - 25 dkk = approx. $5 (I've been told it's more of a novelty item here - I gathered that from the fact that there's been only one kind, if any, at each of the grocery stores I've shopped at - so, students, don't plan on coming to Denmark and living on a cheap pb&j cuisine)

Talking with Danes: have had several lengthy discussions with Danish friends and classmates - focused on, among other things, politics and religion and the differences between Denmark and the US - and because it was only a few people, I can't generalize to say that their views are representative of the whole country of Denmark (although they felt that their views were representative of the majority of the population). Nonetheless, a few things came up in every conversation...
- the legal system in America and the fact that people sue for such frivolous reasons - and sometimes win - this is amusing to Danish people
- the contrast between religion in Denmark (as a more personal matter and one which should be kept separate from politics) and in the US (they saw religion as being much more prominent and influential in politics in the US, and generally viewed it as a negative thing)
- the differences in the Danish government and the US government with respect to social welfare policies - that Denmark generally takes care of her people...but that the current PM leans more to the right (he's liberal - liberal is to the right here, instead of left, as in the US) and has apparently cut many social and environmental programs instated by past administrations
- the growing apathy in Denmark with respect to politics - due in part to increased wealth for all segments of the population over the past years

When the subject of the administration in power in the US, and specifically our President, comes up in conversation with people from other countries, and it most often does, especially with males, the only response I've received - the only one - is a negative one. Several students I've spoken to will say that if America was dumb enough to elect GW a second time, then we deserve him (my friend from Quebec has been fond of telling me this)... It was also interesting to see reactions (which I had translated) in the Danish media to the comments Bush made about Mandela...my friends here just laughed and said, "he's your President"...

Even so, my classmate from Canada (Quebec, same guy as mentioned above) has told me that while Canadians generally don't like Americans (again, I would have to speak to more Canadians before saying this was the view embraced by the whole country), he has liked each individual American he has met. : )

Since I've probably succeeded in offending and/or provoking some of my readers, I think this is a good time to stop talking about politics and post some nice pictures.






In order, they are 1) (part of) my program group on our city walk, 2) the classroom in which we have all of our lectures, 3) the canteen where I often eat lunch on campus, 4) Jomfru Ana Gade at night (the party street in Aalborg).

Finally, there are a few jokes about Danish people and pigs (that I've heard from Danish people, so I feel safe repeating them) -- such as, if pigs were included in the population, you could just take the current number times five...or there are five pigs for every one Dane...or that Danish people need to be careful when buying summer cottages, as there's a good chance that a pig farm is nearby...okay, so not really jokes, with a punchline, that you'd laugh at...yeah, but I'm sure someone has made a joke related to what I just typed.

Finally, you should really watch the video on youtube about the Danish language. It will make you laugh. I promise. If, however, you watch it, and you don't laugh, it's not my fault...(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk). : )

Vi ses,
Tessa

2 comments:

paula said...

Hi Tessa

Thanks for the pictures, classrooms and dining area look bright and cheery, nice to see a little of the campus and the classmates. Looks like quite a crowd in the party street! Is it standing room only inside also?

Hal Kimball said...

Keep on rockin!